Street Cleansing

We have recently had the Street Cleansing catalogue go live – this has been a long process which we have been working on for approximately a year & has included many changes!

We have created several forms for both customer and the Street Cleansing team to use as they will be filling in forms for several reasons including wanting to report a defect litter bin, wanting to carry out checklists for their vehicles and so on

The internal forms were intended to be completed by a mobile worker which is a member of the team who will be carrying out the job/task such as removing a dead animal or dangerous waste, however this recently changed and the forms will now be completed by the manager after the details have been relayed back to them by the mobile worker.

When I first started this project, I had not been acquainted with map layers, Rotas, shape files SLA’s or mobile worker - all aspects which were originally included in the process – however I have felt my knowledge grow throughout the months.

Some of the words I have just mentioned may not make sense to most people, as they didn’t to me at first! Map layers are specific layers put onto a map which show customers where something may be located, an example of this is a litter bin layer. This was to be connected to a ‘Rota’ which was a timetable of when the team would actually be attending the area which has been selected. Urgent forms which required something urgent such as the removal of dangerous waste would have an SLA on which is essentially a timer for the team to carry out the task as soon as possible.

My first hurdle was probably understanding how map layers work. For Street Cleansing specifically, this included layers showing the location of a bin and then for specific information to appear when a customer clicked onto the icon – originally the information included the location and the frequency of how often the Street Cleansing team would be attending the matter. This was my first experience with using a map layer which needed to pull specific information (the rota) which meant having to work within the form adding certain fields for the information to appear for the customer. The rota form was eventually taken out however I am glad that I have had a chance to understand map layers and the potential of linking the rota to the form for future projects.

As the process changed a big focus was the Mobile worker aspect, where I got the chance to use the app more often and work on the digital system that the actual mobile worker would be using. For me this involved creating tasks, assigning them to the mobile worker, creating access roles for the mobile worker and making sure the correct information then appeared on the device. The MW’s role was then to look at the job and have the option to complete or abort the job.

My colleague Lindsey and I travelled to certain locations around town to test the devices to go through the exact same process the mobile worker would be going through and make sure everything was working correctly and to make sure the form was practical. Minor fixes were necessary such as allowing the worker to be able to have the option to have a gallery on the tablet or to have the option to report or resume a problem later. This process was tested many times for each form as I know the amount of SR’s we put through were over a thousand!

The Street Cleansing team will now be working in a different manner, as previously their method was very paper based, they will now be digital and hopefully be easier and more efficient.

 

 

 

By Mehvish Mahmood on 11th Nov 2021
A member of the DCP team as a System Support & Development Officer